Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Why Sunsets?

Tuesday August 26th

Get outside. Watch the sunrise. Watch the sunset. How does that make you feel? Does it make you feel big or tiny? Because there's something good about feeling both. Amy Grant   http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/keywords/sunset.html#AlPkKJCL0MbxZz2s.99

“Speeding along I-10 last summer, heading west, I chased the sunset, thinking if I kept up I could extend my day indefinitely, or at least until I hit a major body of water.” 
― Jarod Kintz


How strange this fear of death is! We are never frightened at a sunset. George MacDonald
This was the first totally clear day since we have been in Seattle, no clouds, fog, haze. Just complete brilliant Blue skies and then the Sunset.



Wednesday August 27


“The sky, at sunset, looked like a carnivorous flower.” 
― Roberto BolaƱo2666



Sandwiched between the Olympics and cloud cover there is a break for some great colors. There are 11 micro climates in this region and a number of them are in the Olympic Peninsula which is the backdrop for our Sunsets. Which is why it is so rare to have a cloudless sunset here.  http://www.olympicpeninsula.org/sites/default/files/OlympicPeninsulaSheet2_2.pdf





Thursday August 28


“If I could lick the sunset, I’ll bet it would taste like Neapolitan ice cream. 
” 
― Jarod Kintz,

When the sun dissolves it leaves behind a constantly changing set of pastel colors.



Saturday, August 30


The biggest cliche in photography is sunrise and sunset.

“And yet day and night meet fleetingly at twilight and dawn," he said, lowering his voice again and narrowing his eyes and moving his head a quarter of an inch closer to hers. "And their merging sometimes affords the beholder the most enchanted moments of all the twenty four hours. A sunrise or sunset can be ablaze with brilliance and arouse all the passion, all the yearning, in the soul of the beholder.” 
― Mary BaloghA Summer to Remember

“Can you see the sunset real good on the West side? You can see it on the East side too.” 
― S.E. HintonThe Outsiders
This quote from 
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/sunset 





Monday, September 1





“Sunset is a wonderful opportunity for us to appreciate all the great things the sun gives us!” 
― Mehmet Murat ildan



Why Sunsets?

If you have time then it seems everyone enjoys the opportunity to watch the sunset. The more sailing we enjoyed, the more sunsets accompanied. As digital cameras evolved it allowed us to take a whole series pf pics to capture that one second that to us captured the moment the best. Sure everywhere we sailed around the Gulf, all those around us enjoyed spending the early evening watching the sunset with their significant other, a happy hour drink and/or friends.
But when we got to Florida the sunsets seemed more important and was soon becoming a ritual to ending the day. The further South we traveled the more important it was to not miss another opportunity. Arriving in Boot Key Harbor you soon realized you part of a huge community of sun worshipers. With about 300 boats moored all around in the best Harbor in the US, the sun was celebrated in unison by all aboard with Conk Shell horns and an ending cannon shot.
The Human spirit is somehow caught up in Sunsets. There is definitely a spiritual quality to witnessing a sunset. I wondered for a moment about atheist? I know they appreciate a good sunset just as they can appreciate good art but I guess it does not stir their soul since they obviously can't have one? or does it?
I had so many sunset pics from the month of August and I just did not want them to go to digital heaven to never be seen again, So I decided I would choose just four from each set of 20 or more and post them in a blog so I could always go back and remember this special time in Seattle.
After pasting 20 sunset photos in this post I stopped to ask myself Why? I Googled "Why do people take Sunset photos?" Google failed big time here. But I did get a lot of other links that will enhance my and your enjoyment from now on.
First is understanding the Physics of a Sunset. " the beauty of a sunset, in all of its varieties and variations, is only enhanced the more you know about it." see: http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/2013/02/13/the-physics-of-sunsets/
I really started appreciating the physics of the sun when we installed solar panels on Wand'rin Star. Anyone that is directly benefiting from the free natural resource of sunlight knows exactly what I am talking about.
In a search for spiritual connections to the sunset I ran into " the Meaning of the Sunset by Charles Jefferson and he leaves no stoned unturned in his Sermon on the Sunset:  http://www.newsforchristians.com/clser1/jefferson_003.html  While  there were several things in his sermon  I appreciated, I just did not need all that for my blog but if you are a devout Christian you will enjoy his sermon I am sure.
Other than the link on the physics I finally decided that the beauty is in the Eyes, heart and spirit of the beholder and imposing any such views on anyone else is just out of the bounds of this Blog. But I did find a cool link on Amazon to the Meditations Music "Zen Sunset" so for s cheap 89 cents, everyone, even an Atheist could enhance the enjoyment of the next sunset: http://www.amazon.com/Zen-Sunset-Flute-Keyboards/dp/B00BPP1VIE/ref=sr_1_5?s=dmusic&ie=UTF8&qid=1410995572&sr=1-5&keywords=Meditations+Zen+Sunset
One other way to enhance your enjoyment is to learn how to take better photographs. so you can just Google that and get all kinds of tips like these twelve tips: http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-photograph-sunrises-and-sunsets/ and you can surely Google the type of camera you have along with sunset photo settings and you will learn how to set your camera up for the best shot. the Admiral has a Canon SX40 which is great for everything we do and then our Iphones and Ipad which are way simple in comparison. In the photos above some were from my Iphone 4 and others by her Canon, Not sure which are which now though and I can't tell by looking.
I don't know why, I just love sunsets!

No comments:

Post a Comment