Tuesday, September 22, 2015

2015 Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival - Part 2

I had to divide this post into two parts to get all the pics in. I prefer to post full size pics but when I want to include so many I use the Picframe App to consolidate pics and avoid tossing out so many pics that I do not want to trash. So the first part of this post is the last part of Day 1 at the Festival.



Lots of Boat builders bring their prized builds here to sell and this one really caught my eye since it has similiar lines to the 20' Blanchards we sail on Lake Union. 


This is a 2013 version of a Herreshoff Design


Has to be fun to sail!

Libra

Home Built in 2014

Check in here to find the on sight woodworking schedule.

Plenty to see

Wonder if this guy will enter next years R2AK?

See https://youtu.be/_l_lWsNsL3U



see: https://youtu.be/Qb0Jh_ruJAE

Just enjoying another fine IPA talking with two fine sailing couples about all things wooden boats and enjoying the incredible scene of lots of Vessels sailing in the Straight of Juan De Fuca and Admiralty Inlet

Wait, I have seen this one before on Lake Union

Certainly did! And I could not believe it is built of wood!


Day 2 Starts here, you will notice that the skies are Gray and it is a bit windy but fortunately no rain.


Found her the next day at the dock.

Amazing flush mount for the roller furling drum. 

Those boys are just admiring the Tiller Handle! Amazing how different the lines look when there are no life lines.


Martha, a Port Townsend Schooner.



She placed in the recent Transpac race to Hawaii

Looking Over Port Townsend Boat Haven Marina, this is where we brought Wand'rin Star to have her decommissioned for the ride back to Texas via truck. It has an incredible boat yard that is a treat to just walk through and see all the work and unique boats up on the hard. The have absolutely everything you could ever need to fix any kind of vessel in stock in the yard and the craftsman, mechanics, riggers, to do any type of job.Sorry we did not have time on this trip to do a walk through.


We had to park up on this hill just to find a space and walk down several blocks, A bit of the local architecture.




And some boat Art. Better than what they did back in the day with old boats, they would just take them out and sink them.

This inlaid wooden kyak was a three year project for the builder.
ak was a
Look at all those screws!


Music happening throughout the marina

A little boat building competition going on

Later we talked to a woman who was so Proud that her son was on the winning team. I wondered if this might have been them since she mentioned they were the ones Not using any power tools. 

I attended only 1 seminar. The topic was fiberglassing over wood. John said he could not understand why they kept inviting him back to a wooden boat show but this was his tenth year. I think I have enough now to get me started on building a Kit boat. I have always wanted to build a small wooden dingy sail boat. Also I learned that you should never glass over old wood. So when you see those Wooden vessels who later in their lives had their hulls glassed over to get a few more miles out of them are just a disaster in waiting. 

John builds boats for these guys and you can see his videos on fiberglassing on their website
ing

Point Hudson



The Admiral was taking in some local theater while I was learning how to fiberglass wood.

A violin, snare drum and a squeeze box accompanied the actors.


See https://youtu.be/ukhgZUzeE7E

On the way out of Port Townsend I noticed this lot with 6 Morris Minors for sale?

2015 Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival - Part 2

Sunday was a gray day but luckily no rain. That's OK I had more than my share of sun for the weekend already. I have already decided that I will return again but I will make all three days and plan out a schedule for attending more of the workshops and seminars. I missed a couple that would have been pretty informative but our schedule was what it was. Yes, this is not your average "Boat Show". We had already been to the Mother of all Boat Shows in Miami. This is a Pacific Northwest Cultural Event featuring the entire world of wooden boats, the sailors, and the builders of the Northwest. Heckfire, who knows, if the sailing Gods line up in my favor we will sail our own vessel here.

No comments:

Post a Comment